Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 07-19-22, 10:48 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Last year, I got my first set of tubular wheels. I went cheap on tires, buying a pair of 22mm Conti Giros that were on sale. I used tape to glue them to the rims, and they've been fine. As I understand it, Giros, being cheap, don't really give you all the suppleness of the best tubulars. So, when I saw 23mm Vittoria Corsa Speeds on sale for about $30 each, I bought a pair. I realize they're basically racing tires, but as I say - $30!

So this weekend, I thought I'd take the Giros off and get the rims ready for the Corsas. I let all the air out, but I could not budge the tires. I suspect there's a trick to getting the first little bit loose from the rim, and after that you can probably pull them off more easily, but I don't know that trick! I also realized how lucky I'd been not to get a flat in the 500 miles I've ridden them, because I'd have had a hell of a time taking them off the rim to put on the spare!

Any hints, tips, tricks? Or is it just all brute force?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles