canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
My sister bought a Momentum Vida low step complete bike and I think it has a lot going for it. I know it’s a complete bike but thought I’d share it. She does rides on paved surfaces near her houses for an hour plus and really likes it. I might look at getting my wife one.

https://www.momentum-biking.com/us/vida-low-step
The only weight estimate I could Google for the Momentum Vida Low-Step is about 46 lbs. Does that sound about right?

That's pretty much what I'd have guessed for a step through frame sturdy enough to withstand the pressure on a bottom bracket with that geometry, although maybe a bit heavier than I'd have estimated. Most of them seem to use massive ovalized downtubes, and comparably oversized seat and chain stays, to ensure adequate stiffness and fatique resistance with aluminum.

That's why I'm betting the best way to get a relatively lightweight step through aluminum frame is with a folding bike. If I'm recalling correctly from browsing folder catalogs around 2015 or '16, there were step through folders weighing around 30+ lbs complete with wheels, etc.