Old 09-16-21, 02:27 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I've never tried the riser version, but I bought a Jones Loop, sold it, and bought a Jones Bend. The "loop" bugged me visually and I never got comfortable using it as a hand position -- it felt too narrow. The Bend version solved that issue and offered a better position in the hooks, but after several months, I finally just put my drops back on. The Jones's 45º backsweep is comfortable while seated, but I didn't care for it when climbing. Plus, there's something inherently weird about steering with your hands behind the stem's top cap. It's a decidedly un-aggressive position, and I felt like Mary Poppins, sitting bolt-upright with all of my weight on the saddle. Great position for toodling, but I felt like a human sail. I would imagine that 2.5 inches of rise would only exacerbate that.

All that said, I know many people who just love the things, but for me it was overkill.
I do know what you mean - I have some Origin 8 Offroad bars that are kind of in this territory. I go back and forth with them. Sometimes I like the casual position but it is weird having your hands that far back when hammering. Will have to consider this...