Old 10-05-20, 10:37 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
I have the same model of Langster; bought it new. I'd been looking for an aluminum road-geometry fixed-gear bike for quite some time, and Specialized was evidently first out of the gate with such a model. It's a terrific bike, although it does have a few first-model-year bugs.

(i) The dropout faces in the fork are not quite parallel due to inaccurate welding, so I have to tilt the wheel while securing the axle nuts. That would have been covered under warranty if I hadn't procrastinated for 14 years before asking the Specialized dealer to get me a new fork.

(ii) The subsequent model years of the bike have steel plates incorporated into the inner and outer sides of the rear fork ends. That change was made to address the fact that the aluminum without the steel plates is soft enough to deform and allow the axle to slide forward on the drive side, leading to slackening and occasional derailing of the chain. I'm glad I left the front brake rather than removing both. To prevent subsequent recurrences, I installed thin stainless steel washers on the axle to protect the inner and outer sides of the fork ends.

I did use it for commuting for a few years and then switched to working from home full time. It's still one of my favorite bikes.