Old 12-29-20, 05:08 PM
fixiefix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile

As for stability when going downhill fast on curves, I would say get slightly wider tires ie. 28c would be good, at least for the back tire, even the front if you don't mind the extra rotational mass. Yours look like 23c. Also I would echo what 79pmooney said as those regular platform pedals you appear to have would indeed be scary. Cleats/clipless pedals, straps or toeclips will be a big advantage. The esteemed Sheldon Brown (and apparently also 79pmooney) recommends the toeclips above all others. Straps could in theory come loose or the stitching could break. Cleats/clipless pedals are also not ideal as the mechanism of disengaging after you've come to a standstill can occasionally fail and you'll topple over with the pedals/bike still attached (though hopefully not sustain much injury). Furthermore they are the most expensive setup and you're often limited to only using one type of cycling shoe. Also annoyingly the cycling shoes are not flat underneath so they are awkward to walk about in after you disembark so you may have to carry an additional pair of normal shoes to change into. Not to mention you could damage the interface that engages with the cleat if you attempt to walk about in your cycling shoes. Straps could be alright if you check the stitching regularly. Though toeclips are probably your best option. I personally use normal pedals but run a higher gear than yours (52/12, so the cadence doesn't ever get too scary - even down steep hills) as I tend to feel generally better/more relaxed riding with a higher gear/lower cadence (note my username) but alas it does mean that I have to occasionally disembark and walk if the incline suddenly becomes too steep and I can't muster the strength to continue. This doesn't bother me but I can understand if this isn't to your liking. Also I'm sure I'd be much slower than you around a given area/course/distance (unless it's downhill-only with few tight turns as then I'd surely win as I have a higher top-end/max speed) so yea my choice of gearing/style of cycling is certainly not ideal if you need to get to places in a hurry/commute long distances daily. I have a bike set up with toeclips and a gearing ratio more like yours (well actually 58/16 so still a bit higher) but it gets the least use of my fixed bikes. I guess when you can get a quality steel 700c road frame with semi-horizontal dropouts (used) for next to nothing - <$20 (well at least in the UK you can) then it's hard to say no to the temptation of building another fixie, even one that you don't need, esp. considering how rare horizontal dropouts are on new bikes these days.