Old 11-26-21, 09:10 PM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
I have a 2008 Langster. The bike is a lot of fun .
Is this bike meant for the track or can I use it as a road bike?
I'm fine with the single front brake and have gotten confident with it.
I took it for a 17 mile ride today that I normally do with a road bike. I could climb some hills
but on a sharp short 60 yard 30 degree incline in that I can climb with my Sirrus and 29er., my legs just die
Also I'm scared about going around sweeping downhill curves on the side of the road because of the tires.
and single brake.
I think my times on the course were actually the same as on my other bikes.
My concerns were 1. Scared of going downhill fast on curves (stability and balance), 2 Climbing steep Hills and 3 Overall speed Is that normal?

Here's mine. Have added a trunk bag since this pic. I use it for utility/errands. Afa as your concerns about climbing/decending it's a matter of technique. On climbs, traffic permitting I use switchbacks. Cuts down the angle. Then as I gain familiarity with the hill I make the switchbacks more vertical until im able to take the hill straight on. For decending it's a combo of resistance or 'back' pedaling and working the brake to slow your speed. There are fixed riders who pull their feet and freewheel. But, I think it's a dangerous practice. The more you ride fixed the less you'll use your geared bikes. lol At least that's the way it's worked for me.

Last edited by GhenghisKahn; 01-03-22 at 02:57 AM.