View Single Post
Old 09-18-22, 04:39 PM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
Somewhat of an update - still contemplating buying the Gitane, I really do not require another bike, for me the 4 I already own are sufficient but I have to admit that I do like early French road bikes and although not my first colour choice the frame condition is certainly above average for its age. Must have something to do with my exposure during the early '70's bike boom and an affinity for bikes like this.

What I am wondering is the maximum tire width one can expect to reasonably fit on 700C rims. My understanding is that clearance is a bit of an issue and that 32 mm might be the limit though possibly not with fenders. IfI do purchase this Gitane as mentioned the gearing will be lower and most likely will use rando handlebars and other changes, if not MKS Sylvan then some proper vintage Lyotards.

I am certain some of you will encourage me to go ahead, definitely a push / pull situation.

Last edited by VintageRide; 09-18-22 at 10:47 PM.