View Single Post
Old 09-19-22, 07:03 PM
VintageRide

Bikes: 1970 Gitane TDF; 1985 Norco Magnum GT ; 2013 Rawland Stag ; 1981 Fuji 650b; Early '80's Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 55 Posts
I finally received a reply from the Seller and arranged to check out and very hopefully purchase the Gitane on the 27th, the earliest I can do so. Already looking at Stronglight 49D arms with TA cyclotourist triple chainrings ( probably need to change out the axle ), possibly an Ideale leather saddle ( Model 80 or 90 ), Loytard 460D pedals, 60 cm French stem as the handlebars look like they will work with flat ramps but might get the Velo Orange Rando version which would mean using a Nitto Technomic stem " modded " to fit,

The Suntour VX GT looks to be a long cage so that will be fine, might look into a different front derailleur and the wheels will most likely receive a pair of Rene Herse tires, probably 32mm unless as I mentioned I can fit 35mm with fenders. My brother received a pair of 700C wheels from me that have nicely polished Shimano 600 hubs and Mavic Super Champion polished clincher rims, I think they are also called the " Gentleman " version. Thinking of doing a swap. I could change the brakes as well but the Dia Compes on there with Kool Stop pads should be fine. I tend to prefer something like the modern Origin 8 brake levers with the tan coloured hoods, just better leverage and comfort.

Beyond that not sure if I will get a brown or black saddle, leaning towards brown ( 90 ) with the chrome frame and possibly lighter blue cloth handlebar tape which I think should look alright. Unless someone has suggestions.

I can see that parts will exceed the initial cost of the bike but then I easily have around 1,500.00 into the Fuji S12S which as a frame cost under 200.00 and worth every penny. I would rather pay for good quality parts and the Gitane is also certainly worth it. Probably looking at 600.00 minimum but if I intend to enjoy riding it then need to make changes for comfort.
Likes For VintageRide: