Old 01-11-22, 10:51 AM
sdodd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Vasir
Hello!

I had a Raleigh Pursuit tandem that was way to big for us, but we made it work somehow. we've put on a great many miles but now im in the market for a new one and have realized that these days its on Co-Motion and Santana.
I spoke with someone at Santana a few times and I like them if for nothing else, their knowledge and ability to have human conversation.
hi Ben - while I'm happy to help you spend your money on a shiny new bike, I think there are better ways to get a feel for what you want.

You should see if there are any tandem clubs or enthusiasts within driving range for you. Tandem owners are usually very helpful and friendly. I would guess that 75% of people would let you borrow their tandem for a day (or hour or whatever) to ride it and get a feel for what you like. Frame materials, geometry, components, etc.

After figuring out what you would like, I would buy used. You will spend 50-75% less money used than new. It even allows you to fly/drive to a likely candidate (or three) to test and confirm.

I'm a 5'7" guy with a really short inseam. (28.5") My wife is similarly short. But I have a long torso, so I spent more time looking for a geometry that was reasonable and a frame material I could live with. Components can be replaced and upgraded all at once or incrementally. Frame should be your deciding factor.

good luck!
​​​​​​​simon