View Single Post
Old 01-19-20, 08:17 PM
Minion1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
When my steel frame Bianchi Forza got hit by a car, I was OK, but needed a bike in kind of a hurry with a charity ride coming up that I had already paid for. The Forza wasn't a great bike, but I had it dialed in, and enjoyed riding it, Shimano Exage, Biopace crank with indexed down tube shifter for the rear. I found this 2002 Specialized Allez aluminum frame, 9 speed triple for $399 as a closeout when Performance was leaving Specialized. At first I didn't like the aluminum's stiff ride, but loved the responsive sharp handling. An Easton carbon fork cured most of the road buzz, along with a Roubaix handle bar with zertz insert at the stem connection. It's 18 years now, and I've moved on to modern carbon, as well as several old steel bikes, but I still enjoy a spin on the Allez, though its mostly my bank and post office run bike these days.

I always liked the paint job, and the paint has held up well over the years. I have replaced the saddle with an Ergon, the front derailleur upgraded to Ultegra, new Claris shifters, and 105 brakes, besides the Easton fork, ITM stem, and Roubaix bars. Fun bike.

I always thought the Sugino crank was one of thd nicest looking modernish cranks.

I also ride this 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite triple, my first carbon bike. Recently upgraded to Reynolds aluminum wheels and Brooks C17 saddle. We've done several centuries and big climbs together. I didn't like the handling at first, but the new wheels really tranformed the ride.

Same bike, a few years ago. I just like this picture from a Solvang century.

Near the top of Gibraltar Road.

Heading back down the hill,
That descent!

Love the racing triples as well, I think it may be another feature that dates me but I am very resistant to the current nonsense about 1x on road bikes, I'm a fan of triples for a lot of people. Too bad if Sram has been wedged into trying to reinvent the drivetrain by other companies owning all the patents to sensible technology...

I have worked in shops for a long time, and a lot of that time in Specialized dealers, those are great examples of those bikes. You also have a point about the Sugino cranks...
Likes For Minion1: