View Single Post
Old 04-25-20, 02:53 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingBK
So, since that post I made on 4/6, and after you and another member mentioned “interval training”, I’ve done some research and been working on it.

And it’s been fantastic! Totally changed my outlook on cycling and complete game changer in my power.

I don’t even know if this is real interval training exactly but here’s what I do....

Im only doing 3 sets of 2 intervals. I warm up for one 3.3 mile lap. Then, on the 2nd lap, I will do one all out sprint for like 30 or 40 seconds til I’m fading, then take it easy for a few minutes, then do another all out sprint, take it easy then I got this hill that lasts a few minutes, I go moderate, then complete the lap going moderate but with good effort. Then I do 2 more laps of the same.

I notice the increase power especially on how I can take inclines and the hill in higher gears more easy. And I think I’m ready to go one gear higher on my sprints already.

I think I like it so much because it gives focus and it’s fun for me. I only ride the loop since I’m not that comfortable in NYC traffic and just going round and round was ok but this is much more fun.

I think if I can get out to “the country” and do some nice long rides, that will be fun too. But for now, this is great.
You are doing great brother. I think the most important thing about any training is to stress well, rest sufficiently, and get nutrition to build. You will advance as long as you do a little more than last time without hurting yourself, give yourself time to recover and the proper diet to build and recover from the stress.

Listen to your body. I like to be building every other day but at 52 I might rest 2 days between really hard workouts. I may ride every day, but it's just a keep limber type ride on a rest day. Also any type cross training will help build different muscles. I also work out on an Elliptical machine and ride 3-4 different style bikes at different times. I think those things help me advance.
Likes For RH Clark: