Thread: Presta valve
View Single Post
Old 03-18-21, 04:27 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I don't like Presta, but it doesn't rise up to the level of caring enough to do something about it. Presta valves seem slightly more delicate. I've seen more failures where the stem joins the tube, and also, the little screw breaking off. But whatever.

My view is that it further doesn't matter because despite rare exceptions, presta and schrader valves tend to go on different kinds of bikes, and you use whichever one is on the bike when you bought it. Schrader valves tend to be found on bikes with fatter tires that are inflated to lower pressure, so the amount of air lost when attaching / detaching the valve chuck is minimal. Heck, I have an old fashioned threaded Schrader chuck on my old Silca pump, and the amount of air lost is negligible. The chuck is older than the pump.

When tires need higher pressure, or are narrower, they tend to have Presta valves anyway. Despite the drawbacks, I'd be hesitant to drill out the rims on my skinny wheel bike, so I use Presta valves and try not to damage them. Actually, a combination of a Presta-Schrader adapter, and the aforementioned threaded chuck, have pretty much eliminated all problems for me.

But still, in the final analysis, you use whatever came with the bike, and move on to more important topics like chain lubrication. Warning: There is chain lube in this picture. Avert your eyes.