View Single Post
Old 03-31-21, 12:42 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
My Pinion equipped Tout Terrain ...
I have a chain, but people who have belt drives seem to love them.
I have chain on my Rohloff hub, prefer that too. For riding near home without a load of camping gear on the bike, I use a higher gear range, 44T chainring, 16T sprocket. But touring, I need lower gears to carry a heavy load up a hill, run a 36T chainring, same 16T sprocket, and remove four links. It would be more complicated to do that with a belt drive.

But I concur, those that have the belt appear to have no complaints about them. I met one person that had a belt on his Rohloff bike, he said that he was a bit slower compared to his friends that he was touring with than he had been when he rode with a chain. But otherwise he had no complaints about the belt.

And one couple I met, one had a chain, the other belt, both had Rohloffs. They carried a spare belt because belts would be hard to replace but did not carry spare chain. I carry a couple spare quick links and a few regular links when touring but have never needed them.