View Single Post
Old 04-06-23, 06:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18475 Post(s)
Liked 15,741 Times in 7,402 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I'm just putting it out there that a 4' pass/no pass zone for bicycles essentially means motor traffic is held to the speed of an average cyclist for blocks at a time. Good luck with expecting motorists to toodle behind 12mph cyclists for indefinite periods of time. Will really make a cyclist sighting a happy occasion. FWIW even on sharrows (no motorist passing) I encourage cars to pass and the vast majority appreciate the consideration. They may think they prevailed in some kind of unspoken _______ match but I would rather they are able to pass (if possible) and go on their way than fume and fluster behind me until I release them from bondage. YMMV.
I live in PA, which enacted the first 4’ law . Vehicles are not required to always wait behind a cyclist. A vehicle may legally cross even a double yellow line to pass if it is safe to do so.

The law took effect 11 years ago this July. There is some signage, and at least one county (the wealthiest in the state that is home to a huge club) had an education campaign after the sheriff admitted that he didn’t know the law existed.

Having toured across the state several times, I think the law has made a difference, especially in Pennsyltucky. Try riding somewhere like Montana, where, on some state and highways, you can get passed with little room by vehicles doing 70 mph+. It will make riding on Interstate Highways feel safe, which it often is.
Likes For indyfabz: