Old 05-20-22, 08:37 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest

Every new generation of watch has a higher price tag then the previous one. I don't know if that's the case with Edge computers? If so what are you willing to shell out for a 1040?

What kinds of improvements in a 1040 would be worth the $$ considering the current sale?
1. No. The only reason I am thinking of the 1030+ now is because one sale.
2. I am not sure TBH. Again, I am considering the 1030+ because a) the item is on sale and b) my eyesight is not what it used to be, so I am thinking the larger display would be beneficial.

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Also give a good look at a Hammerhead Karoo 2. Its a very polished and usable device. Arguably does navigation and TBT better than Garmin, certainly has nicer screens and maps.
Thanks for the suggestion, but my life is pretty much ALL with Garmin. Just like Apple sucks you into their ecosystem so does Garmin. Or at least for me they did.

Originally Posted by Iride01
If you have to have the bleeding Edge technology and are willing to put up with all the warts from unforeseen issues that require software updates, then by all means wait till Garmin releases something new.

However for most people the Garmin 1030 plus is well proven and reliable. And you can get it right now.
I do not think I need bleeding edge technology. An upgrade to USB-C would be nice. But as I look around my desk I see loads of micro-USB connections. And I am not loading maps and whatnot onto my 520 regularly. So a fast connection is not a high priority. At least not right now.

And you bring up a good point about beta testing all of the issues for the latest release from Garmin. If memory serves there were some issues with the 530 when it was first released.

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Usually if they're dropping the price to clear the current generation out, the new ones are a lot closer than a year. My crystal ball is broken so I don't know anything.
Thus my worry. I'll shell out the bucks for the 1030+ and then Garmin will release the 540/1040 with some skookum feature that is leaps and bounds above that is currently being offered. What that feature IS though, I have no idea.