VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...ets-explained/

This offers a pretty detailed description that might answer your question
Excellent link! Thank you very much. This is pretty much what I was asking.
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
He is one of the most helpful, generous and well-informed among many in this community. Maybe take a second look at your approach.
Not my experience.
Originally Posted by Recycled Cycler
That's it. Simple as that!

I'd use DA Ultegra or 105 on any bike and be happy. Below that not so much. A new bike equipped with something like Sora is going to be a very very entry-level bike. I'd never buy a bike with anything less than 105.

​​​​​​​
I don't know. I haven't noticed a functional difference between the bikes I have that have Sora versus the ones that have 105, so I assume the difference is either weight or number of gears. Is that about right? As said above, I like the kind that has both up and down levers together, but I don't know if that's a specific model or maybe a generation of components.
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Toxic...please. The info you were looking for is all over the Shimano site. The whole site is set up in order of quality/performance/price. All of it. If you can't manage to tell the difference between products described as 'entry level' and those described as 'race' I don't know what to say. ALL Shimano products work well. The entry level ones are heavier, not finished as nicely and cost less. The high end are lighter, shinier, work somewhat better and cost more. Just like everything else in this world.
Ya. Thanks.
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Here you go - everything you could possibly want to know:

Shimano component heirarchy - road bikes
So based on just a cursory review of this link, the difference between Sora, Tiagra and Claris is the number of speeds? Is that correct?