View Single Post
Old 09-27-22, 09:26 PM
omijay 

Bikes: 72' Masi, 78' Marinoni, 82' Davidson, 83' Davidson, 84' Mercian, 62 Schwinn Debutante

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I have looked at a number ot of these recipes form removing anadizing on the forum, and decided there had to be a safer way to do this where I did not expose myself to a bunch of caustic fumes in either my house or my garage. I am a chemist so I ran several tries on some old pieces in my lab.

Here is a detailed version of what I came up with recently after reading someone else's post a few years back about a general description of using sodium hydroxide and vinegar.

It involves two baths and the size of the bath will depend on the size of your parts you are stripping
1) Make an appropriate size bath of 5% w/v Sodium hydroxide- This is 5 grams per every 100 ml or 50 grams for every liter (4 cups). You can buy a pound (454 grams) of sodium hydroxide on Amazon for $12.99. So that is enough to make more or less 40 cups of the solution.
2) Make a similar size bath of vinegar, which is essentially 5-10% acetic acid. I used 10% acetic acid, but not everyone has acetic acid at their disposal. So household vinegar is a simpler solution
3) Place the part(s) in the sodium hydroxide bath for 1 minute (You will see bubbles forming don't panic, it will not explode, but there will be some heat generated)
4) Transfer the part to the acetic acid bath for 1 minute.
5) Rinse with cold water and rub with a rag to clean.
6) Place the part a second time in the sodium hydroxide bath for 1 minute.
7) Place the part a second time in the acetic acid bath for 1 minute.
8) Rinse with cold water and rub with a rag to clean.

Notes:
1) There are no fumes to worry about breathing in.
2) I would wear some plastic gloves
3) You can reuse the solutions several times, but you might want to store them in a sealed bottle. Particles will settle on the bottom so you can decant them away
4) Plan on polishing a lot if you strip the parts. Maintaining beautiful shiny bike parts requires work.
Likes For omijay: