Old 07-23-15, 05:50 AM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rjl33
Just back from a short tour in the driftless area of Wisconsin with my fat bike. Three days, two nights camping, 185 miles. I started north of Wilton near the headwaters of the Kickapoo River, followed the Kickapoo all the way to its confluence with the Wisconsin River, then to my home in southeastern Iowa county. I rode pavement, gravel roads and a little two track and trail. The idea was to try the fat bike on a tour in preparation for a tour across the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I would normally ride my Fargo, but thought the fat bike was worth a try. This is my setup:
A Short Bike Tour In The Driftless Area | www.thedriftlessproject.com

Overall the fat bike was a very worthy touring bike. If you can accept the slower, unhurried pace and the extra effort required to move the bike through a challenging landscape, the Mukluk exceeded my expectations in almost every way. The nature of the bike inspired exploration, not just the covering of miles from Point A to Point B. My riding position was upright, making it easy to experience the landscape, and the Jones loop bars worked very well. The bike is very comfortable to ride and when you're tired at the end of the day it offered stability and security on all surfaces. Two unexpected benefits were the ability to ride the gravel shoulder or ditch on two short sections of busy road I was on and the connection with people along the way. People who were not interested in biking would go out of their way to ask about the bike, especially the tires! All in all a success, and I will definitely use the fat bike again for touring. Please feel free to ask me questions about my setup.

A Short Bike Tour In The Driftless Area | www.thedriftlessproject.com
Any more pictures of the bike?