Old 08-12-22, 02:43 PM
dcole300

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Voyageur, 2001 GT ZR3.0, 2018 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Gravel Ride Training Tips

I think I need some help vetting a 'training routine' for an upcoming gravel ride (50 miler, one month away). I've been logging about 12 miles/ day (60 miles/ week) commuting to work. I might be able to stretch it from 6 to 8 miles one way. My concern is that's not a long time in the saddle like it would be for this upcoming ride (15-30 minutes vs a couple hours). I might be able to get one or two longer rides in the 30 to 40 mile range prior to this event.

Do you think this is enough base miles for a 50 mile gravel event or am I gonna have a bad time?

A friend who's recently decided gravel riding is their new hobby asked me to participate with him and I think it'd be fun but I'm concerned about base miles since my main effort is commuting to work with limited time for riding in the morning/ evenings. He's been doing two 20 mile rides every week day with a long 50 to 60 mile ride on the weekend.

Also, any tips for essential gear for an unsupported ride is welcome. I have two bottle cages on the frame with an option to add a third. I have a bike bag on a rear tire rack with tubes, patch kit, tire levers, pump, etc. and snacks and a rain jacket.

Thanks for any advice!