View Single Post
Old 10-30-17, 11:46 AM
rickbuddy_72

Location: Michigan, on the lake, 60 miles WNW of Chicago as the crow flies, or 90 miles if the crow walks.

Bikes: Dolan DF4, BH Ultralight, 1974 Schwinn Paramount Track, Trek Alpha 1000, Trek 730, Miyata 930 affixed to a Brian Wind Trainer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
+1

rickbuddy, any chance you can post pics of your dropouts and/or transcribe the exact wording of the notice?
Yes, I will work on that. Might take a bit.

My hunch is the same as topflightpro's, that you have a newer DF4 with the revised dropout.
I suspect the same. Particularly after seeing that warranty note on the dropouts. I will try to find the paper, as well as the seat post spec. To the best of my recollection the spec is 5nm.

If they are off of the axle, what good are they? If during a standing start, my wheel moves forward because the set screw is off of the axle, then my wheel will be cocked to the size and tire will seize against the chain stay. It sucks that they suggest you do that.
Ah, this is where I get to be the graybeard. I have a 1974 Paramount I raced back in the Dream Time when my power was much, much higher. It has no alignment screws in the dropouts. We simply aligned the wheel as best we could and hoped everything stayed straight as we tightened down the back axle. If we pulled the wheel out of alignment then it meant we hadn't tightened things down correctly. Doing this back in the day and you'd get a ribbing from the other racers.

Even backing off the screw tension I find the screws very useful as they keep the wheel aligned as I'm bolting down the rear axle.

It may take a bit

Rick