Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by steppinthrax
One final question guys,

I'm not even really ready. I need to buy some things (paniers, fenders etc) and I need to physically test myself out. Just how late would be to late to even began this. It's obviously getting cold and I imagine there's a point where it wouldn't be advisable.
I don't know where you are based and how mild your winters are. For me, I can bike all year, but I don't generally consider camping trips from November to March. But that's me. There are folks who camp in much colder temps than we ever see in the Raleigh area. So when it's too cold is very personal thing based on your comfort levels and experience camping in colder weather.

If it were me, I'd spend the winter riding, amassing gear, building the dynamo wheel, testing the charging system, testing your legs, and go in the spring. That's not to say it's too late to go this year, but given the amount of stuff that still needs purchased and installed on the bike, and given that you haven't actually attempted these kinds of miles before, I'd be concerned about jumping into this trip half prepared.

Alternatively, skip the camping (I'm assuming you were going to camp. Not sure if you explicitly said that). Get a hotel around the 90 mile mark and a couple of battery packs to keep your camera going. Put a change of clothes in a backpack and go. Racks and panniers are great, and I swear by them, but if you're sleeping indoors and only for one night, then it's probably not worthwhile given that you don't already have the gear. It's not projected to drop below freezing (in Cumberland anyway) any time this month. As long as you're comfortable being outdoors, it's rideable. At this point, I'd say the earlier you leave, the better the riding weather. But knowing you can actually handle a 90 mile day would be an important step, possibly the most important unless you have someone lined up to retrieve you part way if it proves too much.