Old 06-17-21, 03:44 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...I worked for those SSA bastards for about 8 years as a Claims Rep. At the time. I used to answer questions like yours every day...maybe 50 times a day, Monday through Friday for 8 years. I did those "retire now at a reduced benefit versus waiting" calculations so many times in the first few years, I could literally do them in my head. Mostly, it used to turn out the majority of people were ahead in the money they got paid out for between 12 and 14 years by taking their reduced benefit at 62. But the full benefit was paid then at 65, and a lot of it has to do with whether you like what you're doing, and how long you think you'll live. Everyone, of course, anticipates living forever. But if you like your job, why not keep on doing it ? I hated work, have no American work ethic, and am a poor example in this regard.

I would not choose to give you free internet answers to your questions. It is not unreasonable to ask for these answers, in writing, from the people who currently administer the program, and to request that the answers be in writing as well, signed by someone with his or her real name and position. The law changes every time Congress meets and decides to change aspects of it. For example the work reduction provisions were much more stringent back in the 80's when I was doing this for a living.

As well, some situations are quite unique, and yours might very well be one of them. The interview questions to decide on whether you might be exceptional took about ten or fifteen minutes in and of themselves.

Even working in a real, live, paid position in an SSA field office, I was constantly amazed at the amount of misinformation that went out on a daily basis...not from me, but from people who were less sophisticated in their appreciation for exceptions to the general rules. Sometimes, it even went out in official correspondence, in computer generated letters that were unsigned by a real person. It's difficult to hold a computer that spits out letters accountable.

The official SSA website does have good information on all your questions, and someone linked it. But I have, in my professional life, worked many hours sorting out some ****up or another, all of which might have been avoided with some care in information giving and gathering in the initial stages of the process. This is the best I got for you.
Likes For 3alarmer: