Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
No, we don't decide whether this is a "wise or careful thing to do", the rider does. I ignore parallel bike paths in a lot of situations where I think hopping on and off them is more danger than they're worth or if I know they actually put me at a worse position at intersections than being on the road will. I don't expect drivers to understand this choice, but basically I'm riding where I ride precisely because I don't trust drivers.

I find it ironic that you give the right turning school bus here, the Main reason for taking the right lane is to prevent exactly that kind of crash--the right-margin position put the cyclist into the bus driver's blind spot.

I would have been out in the lane on the subject road. Being out in the lane makes me more visible. It makes the subject failed squeeze pass less likely to take place. It will often mean that the overtaking drive has to reduce their speed to my speed when there are oncoming vehicles. Less speed disparity is safer. I also do this when vehicles and start passing me, I move further right. That gives me a larger buffer. To the uninitiated driver it may also suggest a spirit of cooperation.

When I have vehicles behind me, I do feel a sense of duty to cooperate with them in getting them around me. I will never sacrifice my safety to do so, but I will sacrifice my convenience. I turn my head and look at the vehicle behind me. That way, they know that I know they are there. They won't likely see or process that a cyclist may be monitoring them in the mirror. In certain circumstances I may hold up my pointer finger to suggest that I will accommodate them in a second. I will sometimes hold up a hand to signal wait if I know a vehicle is coming over a blind hill or blind curve. I will wave them around when I am ready for them to pass. I will also ease over into a driveway or even pull off the road to let vehicles around at times. All of that is situational and it's imperfect, but it has served me well. I am sure drivers have wondered who the hell I think I am suggesting they not pass or directing them to go around. Some may not understand that what I am trying to communicate by holding up my pointer finger to communicate "wait a sec." Most seem to get it and appreciate it.

I would like for drivers to understand my choices, but like you, I realize that they often won't. There's nothing I can do about that. There are a lot of drivers who don't want to understand and don't care. They don't think we belong on the road because...well, spandex and they saw a cyclist "blow through" a stop sign.
Likes For Paul Barnard: