Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by astrodust
This happened recently on a route I ride frequently. The driver did not feel the need to slow down for the 20 seconds it would have taken him/her to pass safely. And the media hints the rider was maybe somehow responsible for being run down from behind.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...-hilliard/amp/
My experience for drivers of School busses are not much different than drivers of busses in general. They think mass transit is God's gift to the world. And cyclists often suck up to this viewpoint, even as busses stop and cut across bike lanes probably twenty times as often as the average driver.

In addition it is a legal conflict of interest, since many bus systems are funded by local government bodies, and curry favor with the court systems that prevail in such places. In some places drivers are expected to yield to busses cutting across lanes to enter in and out of bus stops.

I might add that unlike a truck, whch has it's engine in the front and therefore generates noise that cyclists can hear in advance, buses have their engine in the rear.