Old 10-05-19, 07:26 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
I have spend many night with Warmshowers hosts. The last one ran a cafe and woke me up at 6am to accompany him there. I was a bit surprised but in 10 minutes I went from asleep to on my bike riding to the cafe. This host and his wife had 2 kids in a 1 bedroom apartment. I got the 1 bedroom and the 4 of them slept in the living room. I felt bad for being treated so special!

Since I tour solo, finding like-minded souls who will host me is one of the highlights of my trips. I always ask as much as I can about what is required of me both before I arrive and while I am there. That said, if someone had a need but didn't tell me about it, I wouldn't know about it.

One idea, if you prefer not to be so direct, is to post a notice in your office/spare room that you would like it available for work by 8am. I'd also suggest you write a standard note that you send to everyone you accept as a guest about your needs. I certainly would not be offended if someone offering me a place to stay asked that I vacate their space at a certain time.

In some way, not telling people what you need and expect is doing your guests a bit of a disservice. My guess is that most, if not all, would be happy to comply with your very reasonable requests if you make them clear. No one really wants to be seen as a discourteous or disappointing guest.