View Single Post
Old 08-18-21, 08:46 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Running tubes, the only flats recently have been a spate when blackberry thorns were particularly prevalant. I put some sealant in the tubes and haven't flatted since. If I lived in thorn country I'd run tubeless.

I always calculate the results of failure when selecting repair gear. What I take depends on how far I want to push/carry my bike.

A precautionary tale about tubeless (and tubes too I suppose): Met two older fellows on the trail with new e mtb bikes. One had burped the front tire and lost the seal. They only had a mini pump that would not re seat the bead, had lost the sealant, and were scratching their head about what to do. It was a long push out for that heavy bike. Finally, one of them dug around in an accessory kit and found a tube and thru axle wrench. I left them just as they realized they had to pull the tubeless valve stem in the rim to use the tube... That burp was going to result in them taking their bike back to the shop for somone to re set up their tubeless system.

What ever system you use don't assume it's bulletproof and figure out ahead of time how you will fix a failure.