Old 11-01-20, 02:07 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 124 Posts
I think it would be a 'long shot' to identify the builder of this frame. It has all the hallmarks of a locally (Aust.) built frame without any sort of serial number. I would guess a mid to late 80's build considering the two sets of bidon mounts. It is a re-paint as previously discussed and the decals were easy to come by on sheets of assorted decals available around that time. I would guess that the frame owner may not have had access to original decals as they were really hard to find back then so the owner went for a 'set' of decals that would just suit the frame and possibly the components used to kit the frame out.

It's a nice looking frame but I wouldn't place too much emphasis on the Reynolds 531 Pro decals as I think they may have been chosen for the red in the decal matching the red of the frame. Reynolds 531 Pro frames are hard to come by but it is easy to buy those decals now. It does look like a Reynolds frame though and the front fork crown does look like a typical crown used on Reynolds frames. Does it have a British bottom bracket - (68mm wide)?

It does have some very nice and some highly desirable components. I reckon it needs an era correct Concor saddle.

Re the tubing - have a look at this website: https://kuromori.home.blog/reynolds-531/
- The chain stays, seat stays and steerer tubes may help to identify if it is actually Reynolds pro tubing.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 11-01-20 at 02:34 AM.
Likes For Gary Fountain: