View Single Post
Old 06-10-21, 06:29 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
My right leg is 1/2" shorter (from birth and is a scaled down version of the left). I use 1/2" lifts in all my right shoes, either under my heel or as an insole insert or modification. My right cycling shoes get a 1/4" shim between sole and cleat. (I use as much lift as works for the heel of my cycling shoes but most cycling shoes aren't happy with a lot, let alone 1/2".) I raised my seats half the shim thickness. 1/8". Been riding a dream since the first ride. No acclimatization at all. Just "right".

I have both shorter thigh and shorter calf. Those shims work wonders. I get to stand straight and be straight and in line with the bike for the first time ever (in my late 50s). Shorter thigh changes things a little. The proper fix might be a little different but it's out there. I remember reading it when I was researching shims as I was enlightened but since it didn't apply to me, I've forgotten. Do some research. Many have had your issue and now ride with the proper solution.

I do not know what "rom" means so I cannot help you with your foot on pedal issue. Have you considered retention? Clipless pedals or toeclips? Forgive me if it is obvious that rom precludes those options.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 06-10-21 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Added my seat height raise