Old 09-15-21, 03:14 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Krenovian
How did your Santana Adventures trip go? As I posted earlier, we are supposed to be doing the Dubrovnik to Venice tour in late September early October. We haven’t had any updates from Santana in quite a while.
How was our trip? Well, the TdF finish and party was fantastic, and should have been for nearly $1000 a person. First class setting, and no complaints. The rest of our trip after TdF, IMHO, not so fantastic. This is especially true given the price paid. And I've been on numerous bike tours.

As of this writing you are probably receiving your share of the "final offers limited to --- # of people" for side trips, dining experiences, extras, etc., along with admonitions about how if you don't do the pre-tour and you miss the boat, well, you'll miss the boat. Cha-ching. The Rhone was flooding and so the boat stayed in one place for four days, halfway down the river. We never saw Burgundy, though that's not Santana's fault. But we didn't think the rest of the tour, after we moved the boat and got back on schedule at about day five, was outstanding. If you think you're going on a tandem tour as such, you're probably not. A big surprise to me, and I only realized it as we got closer to the date, was the number of single bikes and e-bikes. On our first Santana tour of 100-120 riders there were perhaps eight, at the most, single bikes. On this trip there were 25-30 tandems. So the group dynamics were totally different.
I'll forgo a discussion of route planning, mechanical support, condescension, accidents, and insulting guests.
After our last tour I said never again, but some friends convinced me to go. This time when I say never again, I mean it.
As Paluc52 says, your results may vary, and I hope they do.