View Single Post
Old 10-25-22, 05:33 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Well this has been a fun thread to read thru. Cycco kills em like no other.

Yan, cyccommute, Tourist in MSN
A 135mm hubs is the same as a 142mm hub. Just mentioning since so much of the second half of this thread is arguing over spoke tension. A 142mm hub isn't wider than a 135mm hub at the spoke lacing.
The extra 3.5mm on each side of a 142mm hub is just extra spindle length to fit into the thru axle dropout.

This is why many 142mm TA hubs are easily converted to 135mm QR with a couple of caps.
Originally Posted by Yan
No, this depends on the manufacturer and product line. The Shimano R7000 series sibling models discussed here are wider at the spoke lacing for the 142mm version. Check the values in the spoke calc screenshots.

A lazier manufacturer can certainly keep the shell the same. Do your research before purchasing.
I think we are arguing about minor details.

As I noted in a post several days ago:

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
My Lynskey Backroad was designed for interchangeable rear dropouts, each dropout is held in with two 4mm screws. That frame can be fitted with one set of dropouts as a 135mm conventional hub frame, with the other set of dropouts is a 142mm through axle frame. I have the 135mm conventional dropouts, ...
If you want to argue about comparing hub shell shapes from one model of hub to shell shapes for another model of hubs, I think that is comparing apples and oranges. And I will not participate in any such arguments.

Have a nice day everyone.