View Single Post
Old 10-27-22, 04:08 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by elmo449
I'm very impressed by the Nomad Mk III. It looks like it could do everything I want, and much more. I wasn't really aware of Thorn before, so thanks for the tip.
But, keep in mind my other comment: The Nomads are heavy bikes, but if you are a large person, they are quite stiff and can carry a load without feeling like a wet noodle. I have loaded up a LOT of stuff on my Nomad Mk II and it handled a load quite well.

My Nomad Mk II when unladen is a bit over 40 pounds, it is not a lightweight. That said, this is what it was designed for:

Thorns are only sold at their single retail store, but I suspect most are sold over the internet. I have never been to the UK but I have two Thorns. The first, I bought the frame used from someone in Canada that had bought the wrong size. My second, I bought new over the internet.

I had to pay customs duty on the new frame that was shipped from the UK, but that frame had S&S couplers that raise the price by a significant margin. If you buy a complete bike instead of frame and fork, the customs duty would be higher.