Old 09-28-22, 09:18 AM
karldub

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rim Brake Caliper Return Springs: The softer the better?

I have many sets of rim brakes and generally have no problem with the stopping power (except for rainy days). My best calipers are a set of Shimano Dura Ace BR-7800 which I use with matching ST-7800 brifters and newly bought Jagwire Compressionless Road Pro brake housing + Jagwire brake cables. One thing that annoys me however is the amount of force I need to use to push the levers in when riding from the hoods. It's not a crazy amount, I just wish it was "softer", more like the feel of a hydraulic disc brake brifter.

From my understanding, the return spring on the caliper needs to be strong enough to push the caliper back into "open" position after letting go of the brake levers. But I'm thinking that should not require a lot of force? My question is, why don't the producers simply make the return spring softer, to require less force to push the lever when riding from the hoods?

Secondly, the Dura Ace 7800 set is a bit old but in good shape. Do newer calipers have a softer feel, more like hydraulic brake levers?