View Single Post
Old 09-06-21, 09:14 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Or, indeed, how would anyone feel if I blasted an air horn at them every time I rode by? It's only a few seconds, NBD right?

No, rude. Completely. People somehow got by without it a decade ago, but now think it's fine to inflict noise on everyone else all the time, be it music or walking around using speakerphone for whatever reason.

Y'all want to know why I feel #bahhumbug all the time? I live my life trying to be as considerate as possible of everyone around me, and somehow am frequently surrounded by people who care about nothing and no one but themselves. Whether that's pushing their music on everyone, hogging the path, drafting without asking, weaving around, stopping in the middle of the grocery store aisle, or the thousand and million other things people do all the time without thinking about it. And this is why I want my moat.
Lately there seem to be more cyclists stopping in the bike lane, usually talking on cell phones. Yesterday, some clown was stopped in the bike lane, taking up the entire width, on a road with significant car traffic. There was a nice, big driveway just 20 yards further along. You could see it from where he was sitting diagonally. Similarly, there seem to be more people stopping for a chin wag at choke points. Miles of goddam road to stop, but no, they have to stop THERE at a point where other cyclists have to slow to a crawl to navigate around them.

But try pointing it out, and suddenly YOU'RE the rude one! I've given up and just glower at them - which they can't see because of the glasses - and grumble - which they can't hear because they're talking to their co-roadblocks.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles