Old 07-23-21, 06:48 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Off topic, sorry, not trying to hijack thread. I got really tired of my leg hitting my Carradice saddle bag, I put a long stem with appropriate shim between the stem and seatpost, and a short piece of cylindrical wood clamped in the stem (1 inch dowel?) to hold my saddle bag further back. Quite happy with that modification.

I also have a sheet of Coroplast in the bag to stiffen it and give it better structure so that it does not sag like a limp pillowcase.

I am also thinking LEJOG, but I would be camping with more gear on the bike than a big saddlebag.
I don't find that the saddlebag rubs my legs or at least I don't notice it any more. The biggest issue with my setup is clearance between the Camper saddlebag and the back tire. I find that I have to have the bag very tightly packed, which gives it structure, and then I end up with roughly an inch clearance. So stuffing a tent, sleeping bag and clothes inside to make a tight package prevents it from sagging. If I'm just going out for the day I use a small Barley saddlebag and then clearance is simply not an issue whatever I pack. I'm also planning some credit card touring using the Barley and the Ortlieb. I've tried the Camper with various small support racks, but in my quest for minimalism got rid of them a few years ago. The way you are using a stem as a spacer is ingenious. Here's another picture that shows the clearance...it's one of my early test rides before I got wheels with more spokes. It also shows that leg rub might be an issue for some people with the saddlebag up under the saddle, but it's good to minimize any sway and as I said I don't notice it. This set up isn't an option on smaller bikes with less tire to saddle clearance, although Carradice do make a Lowsaddle bag that is designed to work with limited clearance.

https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/sad...flap-saddlebag

Last edited by nun; 07-23-21 at 07:17 AM.