davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Thanks for trying to cheer me up, but it didn't work. The day when daylight hours start increasing is the first day of winter, so it means colder weather and lots of it. I'm holding up well to low temperatures, so my big concern is precipitation that leaves the surface too slick to ride safely. By the time February rolls around, I start to notice the longer days, I'm fully sick of winter but it won't be ending soon.

Still, I find that a bad day on the bike is better than a day off the bike, so I keep riding whenever possible. It was above freezing today, but it felt damned cold because the wind is strong. I just spoke to my wife, and she said she rode from Times Square back home (about 2-1/2 miles) on Citi Bike, and she rode along the windy river. Brava to her, especially she's the type to get cold easily.
You're welcome

Some people say stuff like "You are complaining about 25F? it's -10 here!" but really, anything under 40 can feel REALLY cold and uncomfortable, especially depending on the conditions.

I rode to work today when it was 28F and felt great compared to one ride home last week when it was PISSING rain and 40F.

I have good clothes (lined leggings, good jacket, gloves, bar mitts, bib) to keep me warm and it doesn't bother me TOO much except the extra time it takes me to prepare at both ends.

Sounds like you and your wife are riding mostly in plain clothes, which would be a challenge for sure!

Last edited by davei1980; 12-18-19 at 04:59 PM.