View Single Post
Old 02-17-20, 10:32 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
My recollection of physics (Laws of Thermodynamics) suggests that the power can't just disappear - it must go somewhere. And since your bike frame doesn't generate heat (which is how a lightbulb wastes energy, for example), I don't think that frame flex, if it exists, is robbing you of much power and acceleration.

Now, if you just want to spend money on a new bike, knock yourself out. If you want maximum stiffness, though, you should probably be looking at carbon fiber frames.
The frame doesnt generate heat when in use? Boy I would figure it does, but the heat is minimal and is cooled relatively quickly.
Frame flex probably doesnt rob a rider of 'much' power and acceleration, but you have to agree that energy is absolutely being lost going to the drivetrain to propel the bike forward when the frame twists while pedaling. More twisting = less energy that is concentrated on moving the bike forward. It takes energy to deflect the frame and that energy is 'lost'.