Old 12-30-20, 05:48 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Why am I not a Strava segment person any more?

I just don't feel it any more.

Maybe it was a maturity thing with riding the bike. I am finally realizing that I was just sabotaging possible real gains in fitness by chasing carrots that are at the whims of the wind and the whims of people only out to snag a single 3min long pathway.

I used to go out once or twice a week on my tempo rides and then dip into the segment hunting game. Then after one or two VO2 or neuromuscular efforts have ruined the hopes of a truly productive next high intensity workout. I mean, I'm not fit enough like you all that I can randomly toss out a boat load of watts on a "free ride" day then also go nail some super threshold work the next day.

I think the TT bug finally cured me of it. It's one thing to be fast one direction with the wind for 2 or 3min. Another entirely to have to do an entire 10mi or 25mi loop where you have to go both downwind and downhill and back upwind and uphill.

I get why it is fun for some folks, and it has been fun at times for me. I just ain't feeling it anymore. Not from losing segments to folks, I gain more on random tempo rides on the TT bike downwind without even realizing they exist than I ever lose. But just that the effort to tailor an entire ride around farting around a low Z1 just to get to some stupid ugly road or street then blow my load for just 3min once or twice then turn tail and head home doesn't really appeal to me any more. What I will do is plan a TT simulation race that is a segment for a USAC or USAT race, typically ones that I will NOT get the KOM for. Not even close. Maybe a 3rd or 2nd or 7th, but even then I'm minutes off the 29mph+ KOM folks. But, that's OK. So long as I planned and executed 100% and learned something.

Anyone else there? Maybe I'm growing up. Even with Covid and no racing....I really am not feeling it.
Likes For burnthesheep: