Old 01-06-21, 03:05 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I used whatever shoes/gear Asics sent me, about 500 miles and most of them were shot.
In between, I'd go after the sales, but that EVA foam has a shelf life, so the deterioration would show up as shin splints, knee pain, or sometimes plantar fascitis.
Shoe Goo was a good "preventer" but I'd use it to build up an area pre-wear, but not after.
If Asics was sending you shoes, and you goo'd them, you were not considered well.
That said, the original Gel Light was the finest training shoe I ever wore; it just wore out in 300 miles.
Nike Odyssey was the best wearing, but had a horrible sole (straigh last).

I tried those sock trainers and the associated sock racer. At 5:00 to 5:15 pace, they're fine. Slower, and you can get movement in joints not intended.

My racing flats were Asics, basically a 1/4" sole on a slipper. Hell on the cobblestones at the Richmond Marathon, but fast. Feet were always sore the next day on our 10-mile recovery runs.

If you know what fit, feels good, and doesn't hurt, stick with it. I've always been blessed to be able to wear about anything except some Nikes. They were the evil empire, anyway. I wear Sauconys now, as I'm heavier. They just cost 3x what they should.