Old 09-03-20, 05:22 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Re the Cabot trail, have thought about it but have never really really looked into it. It's a heck of a long drive from here and generally am more inclined to go to Europe for the next bike trip, hopefully next summer but who knows....
I think Cabot Trail is more marketing than anything else. The northern part where it is National Park is nice, but otherwise I did not think it was that special.

The photos I have seen on line were more scenic than I saw, but that was bad luck with weather on my part.

First day riding through the National Park

Next day in the park.

But, day three it was nice weather, but by then it was not that scenic.

In retrospect, I think the changes in elevation are a big part of the scenery, great in a car or RV, less so on a bicycle.

My route, this is from GPS overlaid onto google earth after I got home. Numbers are locations I stayed, number is the first night I was there in YYMMDD format.

I liked Bay of Fundy more than Cabot Trail, but again that could be luck with weather.

Also liked Charlottetown PEI, but that was more by accident. I had heard that you need reservations for campsites for Canada Day holiday weekend, but I had not been making any campground reservations. When I looked at the forecast and saw five consecutive days of rain, I decided to stay at the Hostel in Charlottetown and sit out the weekend under a roof at night, sightseeing during the day.

Many of my days were short mileage days, I was there more to enjoy the trip than to log miles for bragging rights. If you go there, bring repellent.

How convenient is it for you to get to Maritimes by rail?