Old 09-12-20, 05:47 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
One of my riding buddies is in his 60's - he's the one that got me in to touring (and I got him in to backpacking - so far we haven't toured together, but rides and backpacking trips - still trying to find an opportunity to tour). He rides a 56cm LHT, not sure from what year but he had it several years before I got mine.

If you are going to tour - that means you are going to be carrying gear. When you talk "weight" - between backpacking and biking - when you're backpacking weight really matters. When you are biking - weight doesn't matter nearly as much. It still does, but not to the extent of carrying all the weight on your body - the bike carries it. Yeah, you still have the weight when you are climbing hills = slows you down, but the impact to your body is much less riding than backpacking.

I don't think a couple of pounds difference is going to matter to your bare bike weight. If you are touring you are going to be heavy, no two ways around it. On an 80lb combined weight bike and gear - what is 2lbs? Now, if you trim 15lbs off that's different - but that is way more than the difference between a "heavy bike" and a "light bike" (that is capable of touring - yeah some super light carbon fiber race bike set up might be 15lbs, but I don't think you're going to find an affordable touring capable bike anywhere near that).

So I say get the Trucker and start Truckin'.

As to the trailers - I have to second the motion of the Bob style trailer, or converted kid carrier, that has 2 side-by-side wheels, as being a big no-no when touring. I rode a couple thousand miles (not at once, over a few years) through Illinois on some of the canal trails etc and most of those are gravel, grass, and otherwise unpaved. Being able to ride in 1 track is a blessing so as to maintain a smooth(ER - not necessarily smooth, but smoothER) ride. With the extra 2 tracks of the wheels on a trailer that would be a really rough ride. Therein lies the major benefit to the single wheel trailers - it follows close enough in the same track of the bike to be able to dodge the pot holes and rough spots. Major blessing, in my book.

Best of luck with what the OP decides on. Happy riding!