View Single Post
Old 01-22-22, 10:32 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I have cycled since I was a small kid. I spent entire days out with my friends on our BMX bikes. Later, I was introduced to road racing and I was hooked on that. I also commuted by bike until about 24 yrs old.

I worked as a Design Manager in the Construction Industry and that meant travelling to sites across a large region - no more cycling commute but cycling remained a large part of my life until my early 30's.
When I relocated to the UK, I worked in London and surrounding areas, again, impossible to do the job I had by bicycle. It was only 5 years ago when I moved to Portugal and working from home that cycling returned in a big way for me. My wife and I each had a car in the UK, now we have one between us. My wife worked in Amsterdam for 3 years and we split our time between there and Portugal - in Amsterdam we only had bikes, literally no need of a car.

I race MTB, Road and train for those. Last year I cycled nearly 21000km. Double what I did in my car. My kids live in Copenhagen, Denmark and my wife's Family is in Gent, Belgium. They all get around exclusively by bike. My daughter is in her early 20's and has zero interest in getting a drivers licence. She lives in a city that has arguably the best cycling infrastructure in the World.

I literally only use the car - an EV - for shopping. I am in my early 50's and love cycling again, doing similar mileage to that which I did in my early 20's.
Likes For AlgarveCycling: