scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Simple carbon fork extension for scooter

Hey frame builders, I'm not one of you but I like doing home-brew projects and I am trying to adapt a scooter to run larger (12-16") bike wheels. The scooter now has 8" wheels and my plan is to get a sheet of durable 1/4"-thick carbon fiber and cut some forks out of it which I can tack on to the existing forks as extensions. I have limited tools but I do have a jigsaw and can cut the appropriate fork shapes out of the carbon fiber sheet. I am thinking this will be easier for me as I have no easy way to cut metal sheets, and as an added advantage it will keep the weight down.

I'm curious if this sounded doable, in particular if a 1/4" sheet of carbon fiber like this would be strong enough for a fork that will extend 4-6" from the existing fork. Also I'm not sure how wide to make each fork blade, I was thinking around 1" wide on average with thicker toward the base. I want to keep the weight down and the carbon sheet weighs around 7g per square inch. So 6" fork plus 3" overlap on existing fork to mount it x 4 forks = 36 inches = around 250g which seems OK.