View Single Post
Old 04-06-22, 09:05 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,876 Times in 2,315 Posts
Understandings usually are better with good descriptions and information. Photos also say a lot.

Given the new understanding I have less fear of an injury causing failure in general but still doubt the use of only bolts/rivets if a fibrous material is used. Carbon works best in tension, compression is generally avoided w/out some sort of reinforcement or sandwiching.

Were these skates mine I would use an Al plate, cut to fit and then bolted in place. A hacksaw will cut the plate well enough and are fairly inexpensive. As to the weight differences between Al and carbon- I see this as a non issue, after all these skates are for training purposes (I assume there are no race events that use them). I seriously doubt the weight differences would be more than a few oz.(far less then the added weight of the bigger wheels/tires). Andy

I'll add that the re engineering of the scrub brake will also take some thought and added material (although I ran my rollerblades, both 4 and 5 wheel ones, w/out any brakes so "do as I say, not as I do" ) Andy