View Single Post
Old 06-22-20, 06:42 PM
Ramona_W
Casually Deliberate

Bikes: 1995 Trek 820, 1994 Trek 930 (project), 1/2 of a 1980s Colin Laing tandem

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, and I wasn't surprised at the differences in some occupations. Women earn more as counselors and as first-line supervisors in non-retail sales and I think there were one or two other jobs. In my Cisco networking course, we learned that women who get the certifications make 5% more than men to start and even five years down the line if they stick with it. Part of that is probably because more companies are required to hire women and the women are concerned about the environment and need the incentive. Then again, they might be getting those wages based on their applicant test scores since I've heard from other female CompSci students they feel they have to be twice as good as the guys in their classes. We had four women in my first networking courses. We started the second semester with three women and, just before spring break, I was the only one left. I've really missed those classes this semester when I've had assignments with fuzzier less concrete answers.