View Single Post
Old 10-18-21, 04:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by 1incpa
I've done some Madison exchanges with my wife, who is a good 50 lbs lighter than me.
She said it left her with sore arms and that it would have been easier for her with someone of similar weight.
I read the headline and thought of the ballet team I used to go see in Seattle many years ago. Debra Hadley and Benjamin Houk. Hadley was a classic ballet principal, smallish and lightly built. In her last years as a dancer but still had it all. Benjamin Houk, a former (and maybe very good) high school wrestler? Then in his mid-twenties, not weigh-in weight but no fat and built like a brick wall. He could toss Hadley into the air as easily as a down pillow.

And and an aside re: ballet dancers. They are pros. Take injury in stride like the pro football players. My girlfriend knew Debra Hadley and told my of her surgeries. NFL qualifying. Later I was watching the two of them doing a goofy number with Houk doing cartwheels and somersaults over Hadley. A slight "oops" and Houk got her full in the gut with his elbow. She didn't wince, she did not break stride. I saw that and thought "like a pro quarterback going to the huddle after a very hard sack".