Old 05-18-22, 07:44 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by PDKL45
Pasties are really common in NZ and Australia as well. There's a bakery in almost every town that does meat pies, sausage rolls and pasties, in addition to bread and cake type things. You get cheaper/worse versions from service stations, the Aussie version of a hotdog I guess. A pastie is sort of an interesting variation, where you have one every so often, as opposed to the regularity of pies. Still, for the mioners, I do believe they used to be baked with the meat/vegetable filling in the larger part, but with a smaller dessert section of fruit filling walled off with pastry in one corner, that would be eaten towards.
Yep, a bit of fruit filling at one end. The baker would mark that end somehow, so you don't accidentally start with dessert.

In families squeamish about the proper name (like mine), they were simply called hand pies.

I'd also heard Cornish miners spread them around the world, as they emigrated for jobs.