View Single Post
Old 06-16-22, 07:44 AM
SlowRon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Argon 18 "2 wat seatpost" clamp failure

Hello Everyone, I'm new to this forum so I apologize for posting this message to the 'General Cycling Discussion' but I'm hoping to reach a wide audience. I own an Argon 18 C track bike and I'm generally pleased with the bike, but it has an odd seatpost design that Argon no longer uses. Unfortunately I can't include an image since this is my first post. Basically, I've never been able to get the seat clamp to hold the seat angle for very long, the seat eventually starts to sag and then I have to adjust it and re-tighten the seat clamp. I've followed the installation instructions to the letter. The problem is that the "rocker clamp" 3e doesn't prevent the "rocker" 3f from rotating (part references from the Argon manual). During my last track session the seat suddenly pitched nose up 90 degrees which caused me to fall on the track. Fortunately no one else was on the track at the time and I avoided any serious injury, but it would have been catastrophic if it had happened during a workout while riding in a pace line. What I'd like to find out is if anyone with an Argon bike with this seat clamp design (which was also used on some road/tri bikes) has had similar problems. The shop where I bought the bike said, "Oh yeah, that seatpost has been a b*tch." I've contacted Argon 18 about it and they haven't offered any assistance and deny that there was a problem with the design though they no longer use it on any of their new bikes and now use a more conventional seat clamp design. FYI, I use the seat post in the furthest aft position, and my seat is back on the seat rails but within the acceptable limits. I've filed a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission since now I feel the bike is too dangerous to ride with this clamp design.