Old 06-13-22, 03:43 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by dja1
(Title should read "Few ideas for my first tourer. What should I look for?" - can it be edited?)

I've been fairly committed to cycling for probably 8 years now, and while it has sometimes been in fits and starts I know that I enjoy it and it is here to stay for me. I also love wild camping.

I was recently looking into sinking £3500 on an aero frame and carbon wheels until I thought to myself; why? Why not incorporate two of my favorite hobbies together? I'd get much more from it and get to travel?

Currently, looking into getting a real sturdy steel bike along with all the luggage and going for it, but which one? Other than steel, small gearing and the ability to carry luggage, is there anything to be aware of or to look for?

I've (so far) shortlisted 3 bikes, but feel like one of them, the Genesis maybe needs to be binned.

Trek 520, £1650. Real nice classic look with smooth lines, 26-36 to lug this packhorse up inclines and disc brakes to stop it coming down them in all weathers; entry-level but functional gearing and sturdy wheels with tough 38c tyres. Racks included.

Ridgeback Voyage at £1350; Also aesthetically pleasing, I prefer the Trek Red but love the chrome. Gruppo is a small upgrade and also has excellent small gearing also but it utilizes side-pulls and rims and has not as bombproof wheels and 32c tyres; more agile, yes, but also not as good at stopping the added weight; that said I am a very light rider. Rear rack and guards included.

Genesis TDF30 at £2100; The most expensive of them all and the ugliest to my eyes. Don't like the slope on the top tube. While the Tiagra and discs are a welcome upgrade, a small gear of 30-32 is not so; Yes a small gear but I'd bet it doesn't feel it when a 65kg rider is moving 20-30kg of kit uphill. I spin 90-100 cadence. Dynamo included and 35c wheels are adequate. It just doesn't sound as functional as the other two.

Any thoughts or advice? The Trek and Ridgeback are lovely; the Genesis has some great kit but doesn't seem quite as functional and is pricey. Leaning towards the Trek but saving a few quid on the Ridgeback would be nice, or should I go for something completely different maybe?
As you're in the UK (I live just outside of Bristol in the SW), I would take a look at Spa Cycles. They do their own range of touring bikes, are well regarded, and may get more for your ££.