Old 08-25-22, 08:55 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
Not to inflame an already heated discussion. It would be good for people to reference more authoritative work. For example Wilson's Bicycling Science is a great source. Here are figures for (1) rim temperature increase during constant braking versus speed and (2) terminal velocity versus %slope. From these graph 1 you see for constant braking to maintain 40 MPH, a single bike does not heat rims more than 50C even on a 20% slope. My concern would be temperature increases closer to 100C (melting temperature of butyl rubber, 120C). I have been concerned of late with this on a tandem since we often bike in mountains. For a tandem, >10% slope can cause temperature increases that are much higher. Wilson does not mention pulsing brakes. I have heard anecdotal talk that pulsing does allow air flow between pad and rim/disc to prevent brake pad melting.

I wonder, was this model ever validated against experiment, or is this one of those "assume a spherical cow" type of homework problems that made it into a book?