cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Jayrob8888
I have a 2010 Cube Attempt with a the older 10 speed 105 groupset .
I managed to break the rear mech and when in for repair I was told the new 105 rear derailleur isn’t compatible anymore as the new 105 is 11speed .
The workaround was to put a Claris r2000 on which is 8 speed . He assures me it will work perfect . I took it for a short spin and noticed it wasn’t as smooth but did seem to shift across the
10 gears ok
I’m looking for thoughts on this . Is he right or should I source an older 105 rear derailleur and insist on taking the Claris back off ?
Cable - Not sure about any DI2...
I believe the shift ratio on Shimano DR's from 8 thru 11 are same. But that is not Pull ratio, which is dictated by the shifters. And then there's any difference in the jockey cage/pulleys width/size.
I do have a bunch of bikes using and assortment of 9 & 10 speed Shimano RDs, and all work fine.
AN 8 speed RD must accommodate an 8 speed chain width, so the jockey cage & pulley width needs to be wide enough to work... SO this may make the shift on a narrower chain a hair less precise? I don;t have 11 speed RD, so can;t measure jockey internal width (compared to 10 speed), so not sure if there is a difference, and if that difference matters...
so a long way of saying - maybe/maybe not... LOL!
When my list of 'Honey do's...' goes down, I was thinkin to get a GRX clutch RD and use it on a 10 spd road setup... The clutch RD on my Gravel Bike work great for retaining the chain in place, on some knarly, bumpy chunk sections of riding... Might go a long way to reducing any chance of front ring chain jumping off... not really a problem for me, but I love experimenting... LOL!
Ride On
Yuri